The Provost's Task Force on University Budget Models
Click here for the Budget Model Task Force's Final Report
Terms of Reference
The Task force will solicit input from the members of the Western community concerning the strengths and weaknesses of the current university budget model (including the budget model for graduate student support), and possible alternative budget models, in supporting the academic mission of our University.
The Task Force will survey budget models used at comparator universities and attempt to assess how effectively those models support the priorities of those institutions.
The Task Force will issue a report summarizing the input it receives and its findings.
Timeline: The Task Force will aim to produce its report before the end of 2015.
Task Force members:
- Janice Deakin, Provost & Vice-President, Academic (Chair)
- Gitta Kulczycki, Vice-President (Resources & Operations)
- Bob Andersen, Dean of the Faculty of Social Science
- Margaret Steele, Vice Dean, Hospital & interfaculty Relations, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry
- Krys Chelchowski, Director of Administration, Faculty of Health Sciences
- Matt Davison, Chair of the Department of Statistical & Actuarial Sciences
- Craig Dunbar, Associate Professor, Finance, Ivey Business School
- Ashraf El Damatty, Chair of the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Helen Fielding, Associate Professor, Departments of Philosophy and Women's Studies & Feminist Research
- Stephen Jarrett, Legal Counsel
- Angie Mandich, Associate Professor, School of Occupational Therapy
- Thomas Sutherland, Graduate Student Senator, Faculty of Information & Media Studies
- Glen Tigert, University Registrar
- Arjun Singh, Undergraduate Student Senator (Observer)
Resources to the Task Force:
- Alan Weedon, Vice-Provost (Academic Planning, Policy & Faculty)
- Ruban Chelladurai, Associate Vice-President (Institutional Planning & Budgeting)
Providing input to the Task Force:
There are multiple channels through which campus community members may share their input with the Budget Model Task Force:
Two town hall meetings have been scheduled: Tuesday, October 20 from 2:30 — 4:00 pm, and Monday, October 26 from 10:00 — 11:30 am. Both events will be held in the McKellar Theatre, Room 290 of the University Community Centre. Attendees will have the opportunity to share and hear comments in these public forums following a brief presentation on how Western’s current budget model works and how it has evolved over the past two decades.
TOWN HALL PRESENTATIONS:
The following Power Point files were presented at the October 20 and 26 town hall meetings:
1. Background on Western's current budget model (PDF)
LEADERS FORUM PRESENTATION:
The following Power Point files were presented at the November 26 Leaders Forum "Understanding Western's Budget Model, Investments and Debt":
1. 11-26-15 Leaders Forum PP slides (PDF)
Written submissions from individual members of the campus community will be welcomed until end of day Friday, October 30. All submissions will be received and shared in confidence with Task Force members. Please email individual submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org or send hard copy in envelopes marked “Confidential—Budget Model Task Force” to the Office of the Provost, Suite 2107, Stevenson Hall.
GROUP MEETINGS AND SUBMISSIONS:
Key stakeholder groups on campus may be engaged by the Task Force on invitation, and written submissions from all groups (e.g., employee and student associations, etc.) will be welcomed on the same basis as individual submissions, as outlined above. Please email group submissions to email@example.com or send hard copy in envelopes marked “Confidential — Provost’s Budget Model Task Force” to the Office of the Provost, Suite 2107, Stevenson Hall.
In framing your comments to the Task Force, please consider how the University’s budget model and related policies/processes can best be constructed to support Western’s mission, vision and priorities identified in the University’s Strategic Plan, namely, to:
> Create a world-class research and scholarship culture
> Provide Canada’s best education for tomorrow’s global leaders
> Engage alumni, community, institutional and international partners
> Generate and invest new resources in support of excellence
The Task Force welcomes and values your thoughts on these matters. Thank you for your interest and participation in this important undertaking that will help inform and improve Western’s budgeting process. For more information on Western’s 2015-16 budget, please visit http://provost.uwo.ca/budget2015/